Tuesday, February 14, 2006

QLL Preview

Tonight is the first of the play-offs in the Quiz League of London. We play Chester Army, then Atletico and finally, in what might be the Division 1 title decider, Allsorts.

However, we are more worried about Chester Army. We have never beaten them in six games. They seem to have the perfectly placed knowledge to defeat us every time. They are bogey team and even their star player Fred Filby has jokingly commented they have the "Indian sign" over us. Jeremy, Adrian, John and, of course, newscast star Larry "I saw that fellow coughing and thought something dodgy was afoot" Whitehurst sometimes even cane us quite badly. I repeating it just to overstate my puzzlement and perhaps as a way of complimenting them.

So like last time I'll just expect us to lose (reverse psychology how I love your hackneyed ways). Only we didn't. We were three points down on the last question and so needed the other side to get their question wrong for us to snatch a point and then for the fourth player on our team to get his own question right and therefore the two points. It went to Fred. When asked which gang Al Capone massacred in the St Valentine's Day massacre, he said 'Bugsy Malone'. Wrong. I got Bugsy Moran and then it was down to me. What was the motto of the RAF? Normally, I would have passed to a teammate because I was slightly unsure, but if I didn't have a go: "Per ardua ad astra". And we got the draw. It was a nice little bit of revenge for the 20o4 Cup final. Which happened in exact reverse. Only we lost as well (dagnabbit).

If we have none of that drama tonight, I might be a little thankful. Here's to a damn good thrashing! (Still on a reverse psychology tip there).

The Guilt Gets at Me
Also, I'm feeling slightly ambivalent of my mockery of Quizmania's Debbie King. Previous remarks aimed at a variety of people have in the past come back to haunt me, in the case of a magazine editor who told me to spread my butt-cheeks because I was going to get you-know-what, and a Canadian girl who I called all sorts of things, in the political and cultural sense, that were completely wrong. All in the name of cheap expletive-infused entertainment, but sadly which all blew up in my face like nasty turd bombs. So I'm saying: it's just the image you project on TV, Debbie. It is not good for you. I'm sure you're a great person with loads of brains that just need the right TV vehicle. Though when I find out from an agency website that Debbie has a history degree from Newcastle University and her brain is WAIT FOR THIS "full of facts", I do wonder if the modern education system is a load of cobblers operated by a bunch of possibly communist dingbats.

Anyway what kind of facts are these? The kind that come from women's magazines you can fit in your handbag and which I seem to read a lot of in my loo? (hey, I live with three female flatmates, it happens).

You know you what they say, you get older, and lose your hair and mental faculties and looks, and start seeing young people as a form of vermin who must be oppressed and perhaps exterminated with right-wing politics. Not that I'm saying that Debbie is a form of vermin .... I'm just making more facile remarks (and don't think I'm forming an obsession with her... on any other night it might have been Lottie Mayor.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home