Wednesday, March 15, 2006

That Call to Arms

So I got some reaction to my Howard Beale rant. While Tim has said that we should leave others to their toys and form our own yoot-focussed under-30s competition (a nice idea that we could always call the Logan's Run League), others have cited it as the forming most of the reason they don't play in the QLL anymore.

The thing is it is absolutely no reason to leave the QLL in a huff. I couldn't possibly imagine doing so, possibly because we finished Division 1 runners-up this year and scored more points than any other team. However, occasionally hackneyed subject selection needs to be tackled and a bit more modernity injected for the sake of appealing to everyone.

Honestly speaking, I quite like the QLL questions as they are. Perhaps the set I cited pushed a certain button that has invoked a needlessly splenetic reaction. Obviously, I would like all league and cup questions to be harder, but I know there is an entire league to think about and scores must retain a respectable level. I only want to point something out and perhaps help rectify it over a very long period of time. Some subjects really do need more attention, and others a lessening in focus. If it doesn't happen it will only annoy people further and cut out whole sections of nascent, cosmopolitan etc quizzers.

But let me quote an esteemed and anonymous quizzer who e-mailed yesterday (excuse me for doing so, but I really need someone to back me up, and with colourful examples too):

"I am of the same mind - I dislike the overrepresentation of some fairly dreary topics (in my eyes anyway). Old radio comedy is particularly stale - The Navy Lark, Beyond Our Ken, Round the Horne, The Glums.... Not having listened to it when it was on I am (through being unborn for the early series) I am reluctant to actually dig up details on this stuff.

I was at a Mimir qualifier a couple of years ago and the setter had the temerity to set a question about Seinfeld - cue some serious outrage and a good deal of spluttering.

I am mystified why the pretty lame 'Allo 'Allo (and, heresy here, the not much better Dad's Army) must haunt our quizzes while Seinfeld - viewed my many as a superlative comedy is almost beyond the pale.

I think I'll have a little rant myself...

Young Offender's Institutes (I ask you!)
Bloody Breweries
South American currencies
The avocado pear
The Haber Process
Clem Bloody Attlee
RAM !!!"


(If Seinfeld is deemed unsuitable for quiz questions then, dear me, some people really need to get out more)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home