Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ack

I have to get on with getting on. Posts have gestated inside my head over the past few days but I have to commit myself to other un-blog things. I really do. I really really do do.

Things have got in the way.

Yesterday morning I found myself reading Liz Jones' Diary (well, not found myself, more like picked it out of my latest Amazon delivery and read it straight away).

If you know who she is you will no doubt be horrified, and wondering why I am reading the witterings of a famed woman hack weirdo when I could be reading some Henry Green or even more Saul Bellow.

Maybe, I think, it teaches you something about female singledom. Staying unattached until your mid-30s because of certain and multiple high standards will turn you into a pernickety weirdo. Staying single beyond that and you turn into a mad woman who will be surely eaten by your cats. Which still isn't a good reason for reading it. It could be the matter of fact insanity that every page is drenched in, insanity being a byword for crazed honesty in this case.

But the only bona fide reason is that it's bloody compulsive. In fact, I am compelled to read anything about journalist's personal and working lives. If there was a Closer for hacks I would get a subscription, and I have NEVER bought a subscription to a magazine, despite the proven economic benefits. But I am a wilfully stubborn person and if I want to miss out on that 30% discount, I bloody well will.

So no quiz today and maybe not tomorrow. Sorry.

Answers to BH#67
1 King James I 2 St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries 3 The Palliser Expedtion (as in John Palliser) 4 James, Duke of Monmouth 5 The South Sea Company 6 Groom of the Robes 7 Latvia 8 Effort 9 Tuba 10 Ojos del Salado 11 Jersey 12 Chickens 13 Bank of England notes 14 Bank of England 15 Cook Islands 16 F. Anstey 17 Themisto 18 Edward V and Richard, 1st Duke of York 19 Cat 20 Doom (also called The Doomguy) 21 Verzasca dam 22 Niger 23 Dirty Pretty Things 24 Bale 25 Salif Keita 26 Wayland's Smithy 27 Marcel Dupre 28 The Sea-Wolf by Jack London 29 Friedrich Albert Lange 30 a) Avro b) Fairey c) Westland 31 Hugh Paddick 32 Elton John 33 Constellation 34 William B Davis 35 Arthur Miller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home