Monday, October 30, 2006

Activity

Saturday Setting
I've been wrapping up the starters and bonus sets for the Liverpool GP on Saturday. As usual I've been extremely pernickety and time-consuming in the proofing and going over and over the questions, and taken out one or two of the TV and literature starters (questions I love and cherish) against my natural entertainment-inclined instincts for the good of balance. Well, I suppose I will use them one day (what another buzzer quiz competition? I must be mad).

Now I just have to put in the darn pronunciation guides, something which always vexes me.

Also, I must warn my victims that I have gone a bit doolally on the six-part bonuses (the FFPE questions). But hey, it sure helps me with the list learning. It's all about me. Innit.

TQBWSYL Progress Report
I've also been racking up the questions on the Lulu book and have decided to end each post with a questions done counter (see below). It is heavy going, but strangely satisfying, as well as subconscious quiz revision via running my eyes over thousands of old bits of trivia.

Going through the old files to find suitable posers, I am shocked and bemused by what I've learnt and what I've forgotten. Man, did I use Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable in 2000 or what? (Er, I did. Loads. Blame the 1999 BQC). I cannot believe I wrote so many questions which look like strangers to me. I cannot believe I wrote the same question again and again (e.g. the one on semelparity).

Things are different now. I use more sources, for instance. Interesting ones. I am more focussed and aware of what I need to know. Therefore, I also get the feeling that I wasted vast amounts of time on nonsense. All those summer days in Littlehampton library spent transcribing stuff I will never need. Oh well. At least I wasn't smoking crack on the beach.

Actually, I'm thinking of calling it Quiz Me Deadly. Inspired mostly by the Robert Aldrich film, of course. And probably because the brutal questions will remind you - Cloris Leachman's nasty naked plier torture, the speccy git who gets his hand slammed in the desk drawer, the nuclear device exploding in someone's face - of the sadistic streaking running through that particularly brilliant movie (nah, I'm joshing. I'm a serial josher, as you know. They're fine if hardy specimens).

One question
Here's a silly question I've been thinking about. Ignoring the need for the lower or upper case lettering, what chemical compound is Frasier Crane's Seattle radio station?

Answer ... well, I'm sure you'll look it up and work it out. Anyway, there's probably something wrong with my thinking. There always is.

Lulu question count: 624

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think KACL could be a chemical compound, unless I've missed something obvious: you could have KCl, but you couldn't split KACL usefully (there's no Ka, no A on its own, so you have to start KAc, but then there's no L on its own either). I think. IANAchemist.

r.

11:58 PM  
Blogger That Quiz Guy said...

There you go.

I told you I got it wrong. I kept on thinking of potassium as Ka as in Kalium. So I was quite blinded to its actual K-ness. Never mind.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home