Monday, May 14, 2007

Exposure

I'm guessing nobody knows that a cutting edge, non-fiction magazine called Bad Idea has covered OUR quizzing world this issue (no. 3) in the form of an interview with myself, an overview of the whole darn kaboodle and a review of the only QLL match we lost this season against the Allsorts.

Yes, you will find factual inaccuracies (such as Stainer not being mentioned as one of the non-participating supporters and many other niggly little things), but it is pretty good and filled with some likeably purple prose. I mean, we're so used to tabloids writing about quizzers and quiz shows with all the handling skills and subtleties of ogres that it is nice to get a different kind of outsider's view written with some care and attempt to extract some real insight.

And, no, "feline" Alyssa who plays/has played bass for Scritti Politti, I do not want to hunt you down and kill you. My portrait is fair enough. Especially, with the me ignoring complete, albeit friendly, strangers coming to my table at The George. Though, Chris does tend to introduce a parade of different people each week who confuse me and distract me from the business at hand that of: getting moderately pissed, smoking my arse off and answering quiz questions in as definitive manner as possible. I just want to amass the beer tokens and drink beer. The phrase "joyless silence" is perfectly apt one sometimes, I suppose.

And we might as well always dream about and plan for THE BIG SCORE anyway. The dough is a very nice bonus. Very nice. If you do quizzing in a serious manner, you might as well make the very best of it and clear up those silly real-life financial concerns

Sample line: "He didn't even look up when I introduced myself" (Eek, if only I had known. I can be such an idiot sometimes. And slightly autistic too when it comes to trivia time.)

It costs £4.50 if you fancy it and there be a MySpace page here you can visit too and groove along to the pretentious genre-mashing hip music it is soundtracked by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home