Thursday, June 15, 2006

Unleashing The Beast

Well, I haven't been entirely solipsistic. I've been up to summat.

You might have noticed a distinct lack of questions on the blog, and the fact is it will stay more or less that way until autumn comes.

Instead I have decided to work on another type of quiz.

You see I have often mentioned that I want to do a huge individual written quiz in which people get down to answering something like 500 questions in two and a half hours.

Sadly, I know this just isn't possible at the moment. Doing it in person is logistically impossible because I couldn't really get a good group of people (and I'm thinking more than 25) together to sit down and do it at any decent time.

Instead I had another far more interesting idea, which is also better than reading BH quizzes off computer monitors.

So...

I have set 501 questions for a written test. Since I cannot gather you (I'm really talking here to the people who might be interested in doing it from here on in) together in a physical sense I will use the wonder of electronic mail and cyberspace to conduct it.

Therefore, I will send you the questions and you can do it in the privacy of your own home when you have spare time. Sunday, weekday nights, you know.

Then questions are all general knowledge, some easy, some chestnuts, some hard, some impossible. Some are entirely original ones I have written in the last day of two, while most are taken from my files of Abject Horror. Actually, many seemed to be filled with said Horror in 2002, but they seem pretty tame now. To me, that is.

There is a time limit I want to enforce. Yes, two-and-a-half hours. 150 minutes for 501 questions. Please feel free to take a break at the halfway point, though it should not be done in half hour bursts spread over a week. You might subconsciously look for answers, and that would be a lowdown, dirty shame.

You are not supposed to use any sources or guides or other people or anything. You must do it as if you are in an exam or in an normal individual written quiz. Therefore I am relying on complete honesty here. Please do not look anything up, otherwise all the comparative fun and interest gained from doing a huge individual written quiz will be dissipated through skullduggery. So don't be a skulldugger and stick to the rules. Pretty please with sugar on top.

I cannot really do anything about the time limit (though the idea is to do a sort of dual endurance-sprint type quiz), but if a regular someone starts displaying fantastic knowledge about physics when I know from personal experience that they couldn't even name any chemical elements beginning with P, then certain (mysterious) sanctions will be applied.

You can do it on the computer and simply e-mail it back or you can print it off and do it. If the latter is more desirable, then put in a PDF and e-mail it back, or put it in the mail (I'll give my address in the latter case if you mention it when you do the initial email.)

Sorry, but you have to pay the postage yourself if you want to do it the old fashioned snail mail way. Well, I'm not that sorry. It's a bargain anyway, innit?

If you want to do it then please e-mail the address themonsterquiz@gmail.com. Having replied to confirm that I have got your e-mail, I will then send an e-mail with the lot in an attachment.

I will send this quiz to whoever wants to do it (you have to do it; I am not going to send it to you purely so you can have a peak and chuck it in the bin). That's anyone at all, not only my British brethren, but the whole world too (such is the wonder of the internet). As long as you do it AND send it back.

I do have to warn you that there is a British bias in the questions. If I do it again, I may do a world knowledge edition, however.

And please don't forward the question set attachment for someone else to do. I have to have a central list of people who have asked for it that I can tick off, so please just e-mail me for the q's and I'll send them over (but then do it, please). However, please feel free to tell people about it if you think they might be interested via e-mail or whenever you see them and give them the e-mail address so they can request it themselves. That e-mail again: themonsterquiz@gmail.com

There is a deadline for requests. This is 4pm June 29. I'll start sending out the quizzes nearer that date. The deadline for returns will probably set for another two weeks after that. If all entries are in then I will get on with doing up the results ASAP.

When it is all done, dusted, returned and marked up, then I will post a league table here of the places and scores and also anyone who has got a solo-answer (ie one person has got it and no-one else) as a sort of symbolic thumbs up. You can also use a pseudonym for your league table placing if you prefer, in case the fear of humiliation is too much.

The glittering prize is the respect of your peers. I have been trying to work out a way of charging a small entrance fee and redistributing it into a prize pot and such and such, but this lot is all free for now. I'm sure you won't begrudge me that considering that writing the first 501 questions has taken me a very long time. So think of this as an experiment for me and a taster for you. If I get a good response, then I will crack on and do another, but I thought I would put in the potential (and cursory) monetary demands I will put in in the future.

Just remember this is free and anyone can do it as long as they do it and return it. Do you get me?

The questions are done and dusted and need one more revision and that is that, so let's be hearing from ya.

That e-mail address again
Send your question-set requests to themonsterquiz@gmail.com

Remember to respect the rules. The integrity and intrinsic worth of this exercise are dependent on it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Myron said...

Do you mind if I send this out to some of the American quiz message boards and things. We still have no presence in the WQC, but dangnitall, we're as good as anyone.

Myron

5:07 PM  
Blogger That Quiz Guy said...

Yeah, of course you can. But please beware the British bias. Questions on cricket etc.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Myron said...

As long as the questions about "tea" aren't unfairly taxed, we should be fine.

Everyone over here will have the same handicap, so it'll be fun to compare. Maybe I'll ask the USA-ians to label themselves as such.

-M

6:54 AM  
Blogger Myron said...

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=24609

There's 3 more places I think I'll post this. But it is, as they say, on.

-M

7:01 PM  
Blogger That Quiz Guy said...

Thanks for the publicity Myron.

Any chance you can contact themonsterquiz@gmail.com so I can register your email and such and such. Cheers.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home