Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I was "even wearing a rather trendy T-shirt"

The Time Out "dream team" pub quiz feature is out today, so read it if you want to know what it's like to do a pub quiz and have someone write an article about it.

As I may have hinted, it's what I did while everyone was at Brain of London and, yes, I do know how all quizzers familiar with the scene will scoff at the dream tag, but the world of journalism creates its own reality, so there.

However, I liked it; it's a good article: hey, it's about QUIZZING. If it was about chess it would be utter crap.

Having said that, I am a pedant and there are some factual inaccuracies (I mentioned the £441 jackpot, said Peter Osgood, for example), but who said I was king of the verification and truth. Neither am I one to phone up and write letters delineating these outrages, even if I have been on the receiving end of some forceful corrections from the vicinity of the Home Counties.

One thing, however, I've really taken against is the use of brainboxes, eggheads and geeks, among other similarly derogatory phrasings (bloody journalists!), especially when "none of them appear to be the speccy social misfits that I'd expected" (that could have been arranged, oh yes). It's anti-smartism at its most lazy and unthinking. Who says stereotypes aren't alive and well in the most youthish-oriented and respected magazines in the land.

Have a big twat-spank on the wrists you big listings guide you.

And if Graham is reading this, good article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home