Thursday, November 09, 2006

Right...

... I've just bought The Prince of Wales (Highgate) Quiz Book and the QI Book of General Ignorance.

I'm warning everybody now: if you buy either of them for me as a Xmas present, I will give you a damn good shoeing.

You will, however, get a choice of the punishment footwear. I recommend my flip-flops. In need of a wash, but less newtons per buttocky square inch than everything else.

Btw, on a initial perusal of the first quiz in the PoW book, this could be the most interesting pub quiz book that has ever been written. I'm not joking. I'm being serious (I can be sometimes). Unless you happen to concur with QuizList's damning verdict of its pub quiz in general:

"While it's almost impossible to generalise because of the different quizmasters, some of the quizzes I've been at here were too self-consciously 'clever'. Seems to have lost a few punters, and those who started coming here when the Victoria temporarily lapsed have deserted it. A 'result' here may not mean winning the quiz - it means getting out the door without being patronised."

Personally, I think it is the best going on every Tuesday night, precisely because it is "too self-consciously 'clever'". What's the matter with having a bit of a smart-arse quiz? Makes a change from all the chestnut-pumped, don't know theirs arses from their elbow kind of quizzes that seem to pepper the London scene.

Come to think of it, either Stainer or I could have contributed, on account of us setting it before hand; Stainer on a few more occasions than myself. But I guess, they want long, long servants of the quiz; hard-bitten quizzites who kind of merge into the timber and smell a bit of Thai food.

Also
There's a great openings/opening lines quiz in the new Word magazine (the day I start calling it THE Word is the day Terry Christian becomes Supreme Galactic Emperor). I got a slightly disappointing 29/45, but you know that really means absolutely sod-all (I'm lying).

Who says magazines are getting more weighed down with trivia? Oh, I just did. By pointing out that Word had a quiz, posing as a feature, in it. Whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home