Friday, June 19, 2009

What's the Quiz Version of "L'esprit d'escalier"?

Always Read On

I absolutely LOVE it when I go through old notes two or three weeks after the WQC and see (now) glaring notes like "Borsalino - Milan-based hat brand, its handmade Panama Montecristi Semicalado, f.1834 by Giuseppe" and "Parisian-b. Israeli YAE NAIM 'New Soul', Apple Macbook Air ad".

This has happened to me on at least two other infuriating occasions since the Worlds. It's funny how not reading one or two pages further into a notebook has cost me points. And it's bloody hilarious when I realise I've read c.90% of the said note-store (of stuff I haven't got round to adapting into questions) in the days before the championship. It's just that tiny slither in the middle that I haven't cast my eyes over.

Consequently, they have now been annotated with "FOR F**** SAKE" and "f***ing b****cks".

Of course, they should read "FOR FLIP'S SAKE" and "flowing buttocks"

FE:XXXXII
1. It can mean 'exile', 'outlaws' or 'emigre'. What term was applied to political opponents of the Mussolini's fascist regime who fled or were forced to leave Italy during the 1920s and '30s? During the Spanish Civil War, they took part in a famous victory over the Italian fascist "volunteers" at the Battle of Guadalajara in March 1937.
2. What is Japan's largest selling English-language newspaper? And which newspaper has the largest circulation in the world?
3. Twenty-two federal employees died when three floors of which government building collapsed on June 9, 1893, the day of the funeral of the great Shakespearean actor Edwin Booth?
4. Which silly Spanish motorcycle racer celebrated "winning" the recent 125cc Catalunya MotoGP a lap early, meaning he ended up finishing 4th?
5. Described as an "absolute animal" by Jeremy Clarkson, which Dodge sports car, known as the Viper elsewhere because the name is a registered trademark in the UK, has been dubbed Britain's least green car?

C
A
N
'
T

T
H
I
N
K

W
H
A
T

T
O

W
R
I
T
E

Answers to FE:XXXXII
1. Fuorusciti 2. The Daily Yomiuri; Yomiuri Shimbun (both published by the Yomiuri Group. The latter was founded in 1874 and has a combined morning and evening circulation of over 14 million) 3. The former Ford's Theater (it had been turned into a government building after Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth - feeling slightly silly writing such an obvious fact - who was the brother of Edwin, both members of the Booth acting clan and son of the English-born actor Junius Brutus Booth. It could be compared to Stephen Baldwin shooting Barack Obama. I suppose) 4. Julián Simón (born in 1987, he is a member of the Mapfre Aspar team) 5. Dodge SRT-10 (it topped the ETA survey with 488g/km, followed by the Bentley Brooklands coupe (465g/km) and the MPV Mercedes R-Class R63 AMG (387g/km))

My word, I cannot actually stop myself from writing back-up notes now. They're quite addictive. The urge for completeness is unbelievable. Because if I don't elaborate, then surely the world will explode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home