Wednesday, July 02, 2008

FE: II

You know what? For a few hours there I considered not doing a Five Everyday quiz, even though I made a big Al Pacino HOO-HA! about making it a regular weekday feature. And after only one day. Resolve dissolves.

Call it an extreme apathy attack - they usually come on about the same time as the Channel 4 evening schedule kicks in. Even though most of it is crammed with infuriating crap, as I have stated on many occasions before, I am compelled to watch with brain whirring and mouth gaping in melancholic wonderment at the levels programmers will stoop to in order to catch those ratings. Damned super-high-tech aerial forcing me to watch British women weeping as they patronise tribes nobody has heard of and where abuse of the domestic and child kind seems to be accepted as okay fine really. I'm sure there are other shows on the other TV stations that are equally insulting to my carefully cultivated sensibilities, but as they say, the grass is always greener in the areas of TV Land we are never privy to.

But compounding this daily condition, my crappy old laptop - the Tiny one - cut out like a prospective husband in the prehistory of Great Expectations, and left me irked and annoyed and left with little choice, but to wait for the bloody thing to cool down - it heats up something good, just like a Ford Pinto; one day it will burst into flames and scorch my privates beyond all recognition - and so make me less depressed when I lost even more work I'd sunk into the blasted piece of infernal outdated machinery ('tis seven years old: an eternity in computer technology terms). Thus, I must do other things.

And then I also realised promises are promises. When in Rome ...

FE:II
1. Which animal conservation centre was founded in the north of Sumatra by the Swiss zoologists Monica Borner and Regina Frey in 1973 on the banks of the Bohorok River?
2. Which automobile companies are often grouped together as 'Detroit's big three'?
3. Which electronic devices manufacturing company, whose first major product was a finger ring that could hold a cigarette called the yubiwa pipe, was founded by an eponymous man in April 1946 and began its rise to global prominence with the release of the pioneering Model 14-A in 1957?
4. Roughly how many gallons of water are there on Earth, 97 per cent of it being contained in the world's oceans?
5. Considered a bedrock of the Brazilian literary canon, Os Sertões - translated as Rebellion in the Backlands - is a 1902 novel by which writer?

B
E
E
F
C
A
K
E

B
E
E
F
C
A
K
E
!


FEing answers
1. Bukit Lawang Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre 2. Ford, General Motors, Chrysler 3. Casio, founded by Tadao Kasio - the Model 14-A being the world's first all electric compact calculator 4. 360 quintillion gallons 5. Euclides da Cunha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home