Thursday, July 03, 2008

Three Days in a Row: Wow

Dissection Time Later
I was going to write how much I detest the blasphemous bollocksfest that is Wanted, the movie with the wee Scottish fella from Shameless and Angelina Jolie, the world's most notorious sex panther, compared with Wanted the masterpiece comic book by Mark Millar but decided that I didn't have time this evening to lay into the former's wretched poverty of intelligence and gumption, and its sheer awfulness. But there is time in the future methinks. I know the whole comparing the book with the film thing is idiotic and futile, but it MUST be done. Otherwise, all the acidic anger that boils up in me whenever I think of it, might spread and infect the world.

Dear Me
Instead, I have some correspondence from a concerned reader with a lady's name; the name being Jessie Honey. Or something like that:

"You are not allowed to fancy Laura-Mary from the Blood Red Shoes, as I do as well, and we have already established that we have entirely different tastes in women.

[The hell you talking about? I do not remember establishing any such taste parameters: e.g. you get Agyness Deyn lookalike strumpets and sweet pixie-like girls with brown bobs and I get fiery scarlet-redheads and mousy librarian types with an undeniable sexiness bubbling under the bookish exterior. Such a momentous summit never took place. Unless you were talking about canal boats and I switched off. Plus, "You are not allowed to fancy ..." from a married man no less. The hypocrisy stinks like a long drop toilet - you see what I did there?!? Weird images about you going to whack off in the tool shed over indie rock chicks now come to mind. Eugh. I realise this commentary has become exceedingly offensive, but then that was just a cartoon movie reference I made. I watched it in the Bognor Regis Picturedrome. Screen 2. Barely a man and his two dogs could fit in there. And I'm not talking Irish Wolfhounds either.]

The staggeringly radiant beauty of said guitarist obviously must transcend such fripperies. More importantly, why were Blood Red Shoes not shown on the TV coverage of the event, especially seeing as about 634 hours of their footage covered the eye-wateringly talentless Wombats?"

[God, you're so naive. I laugh heartily at your naivete. I deride your wholesome innocence when it comes to band orders and television exposure. You are a fluffy bunny rabbit in a land of razor-toothed wolves. Nobody has actually heard of BRS except for you and I, a few of the people who accompanied me to Glasto, the Littlehampton Obscure Music Alliance, some subscribers to eMusic and the Brighton indie-git scene. So I look down upon your inability to see that the John Peel Stage ... you get the idea. Anyway, you love the Wombats. You sex them. 634 hours was nowhere near enough.]

FE:III
1. Tabaré Vázquez was elected president of which country in October 2004?
2. Intended for pilots, which glasses were invented by optical designer Raymond Stegemen in 1952?
3. Who was the only NASA astronaut to walk on the moon to be a scientist, a geologist in fact?
4. What was the first name of eponymous German food company founder Dr. Oetker, whose first product - 'Backin' - was a pre-measured amount of baking powder that, when mixed with 500g of flour and other ingredients, produced a cake?
5. Chapter 16, Verse 106 of the Quran - "Any one who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief—except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith—but such as open their breast to Unbelief, on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful Penalty" - is cited by Shiites to justify what religious dispensation by which persecuted Muslims may hide their beliefs?

B
E
S
T

T
H
A
T

Y
O
U

C
A
N

D
O

Answers to FE:III
1. Uruguay 2. Wayfarers 3. Harrison Schmitt 4. August - he founded the company in 1891 5. Taqqiya

3 Comments:

Blogger Myron said...

Question 5 is from slate.com today, so I'm curious: do you read it every day, or did you follow a link from somewhere else. I got there through Fark myself.

And The Explainer column is one of the best things you can read to stay informed about the world. Perfect Good Trivia that's Good For You. Hell , slate is probably the most fact-packed of the online news sites.

Glad to see you're back. I tried the question writing thing myself, but my monitor blew up after 2 days. You can check it out at 20questions20.blogspot.com .

-Myron

10:23 PM  
Blogger That Quiz Guy said...

Yep, it is practically taken word for word from Slate. It is one of the sites I consult every day without fail, but sometimes I get a bit annoyed by the spontaneous and idiotic slant of its brand of web journalism. And yes, Slate is very good for trivia.

I'm back because it is now a kind of quiz downtime. I can't talk about the shows I've been involved in until they are broadcast, which is a bit of a bummer but all part of the confidentiality thing and so as not to unduly reveal bits of crucial info about who writes for which show and so on. If contestants and programme makers know who you are, this blog becomes a potential minefield for various reasons.

The everyday thing is for two reasons: to have some sort of commitment that involves writing every day, no matter how trivial the subject touched upon are, and to give a reason for people to come back regularly, yep 'hits' and help me big up my BIG summer quiz.

2:12 PM  
Blogger JH said...

Pshaw! Your link to a picture of Luara-Mary wasn't even a very good one of her, and will leave the sadly uninitiated still unaware of said radiance. You should have linked here instead- much better- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ3HV0lRMOo

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home