Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blimey That Was a Bit Ranty

Time to Calm Down

Well I went and did it. I got a quiz question containing the hallowed names 'Kim Gordon' and 'Thurston Moore', which yielded the inevitable answer Sonic Youth, into the paper today. Maybe I should have done it a few years ago. If I had I might have progressed to the point where I could feel confident enough to submit entire quintets devoted to Krautrock, Melodic Death Metal and Slowcore. The readers would absolutely love it!

But then again, nowadays even Godspeed You! Black Emperor can get a namecheck in the Judd Apatow-produced stoner-comedy-action film Pineapple Express, albeit one that used to mock the pretensions of American college students. The film in question is surprising to say the least. The three words I would use to describe it are 'weird', 'violent' and 'charming.'

FE:XXXV
1 Which Scottish poet wrote the epic 13000-line poem The Brus (1374-5, printed 1571)?
2 What religious title means 'sign of god' in Arabic?
3 Gudrun Ensslin was a founding member of which left-wing guerilla group?
4 Located in the Bahamas, what are the world's longest and deepest submarine caves?
5 Oil drilling is only allowed in the Beaufort Sea in winter months because it is a breeding ground for which whale, the staple diet of the local Inuit population?

T
H
U
M
P
I
N
G

H
E
A
D

Answers to BH:XXXV
1 John Barbour 2 Ayatollah 3 Red Army Faction or Baader Meinhof gang 4 Blue Holes of Andros 5 Bowhead Whale

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home